Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Weekend: Staying Active!

Saturday has finally arrived...approximately 50 minutes ago my Saturday arrived. I'm writing this entry with an unwashed face and unbrushed teeth. I fear this weekend may get away from me if I do not sit and write this very moment.

Staying active is on my mind today. Now, I am not new to working out. I've been a gym-goer since high school. I still remember the first time I went to a gym. I Oooh'd and Ahhh'd over the various treadmills, I was intimidated by the elliptical machine, I found refuge in the Women's Only weight room, I was intrigued by how much one could sweat in a sauna.

The gym is indeed a great place! I belong to Gold's Gym which I absolutely love because there are allover the place. When I go to Seattle next month, I'm gonna hit up the one in Redmond and make myself at home in the steam room after a good workout. Vacation does not mean I will not be sticking to my plan. My plan to lose is still alive even when out of town!

Back to the gym. If you find a gym that you absolutely love, you will find yourself wanting to spend more time there. Spending more time there results in staying active more. And keeping active is the key to winning in this game. It does not have to be a full blown workout all at once, even the little things help. Taking the stairs, parking far and walking into the store, 30 minute walk here, 15 minute walk there. The small things will get you acclamated to working out so that when you jump into a 60-minute workout, you don't die! Of course, it's important to physically challenge yourself as well.

When you are choosing a gym, make sure that it has all that you are looking for. Shop around. Many gyms have free trial periods. Check those out. Check out the classes. Will they challenge your fitness level? Is there a pool? Is the staff friendly and helpful? Are there locations close to your home and job? How about when traveling out of town? Are there travel passes? These are all things I looked for in a gym. What you desire may be different, just make sure that you are completely happy at the gym you choose. You want to be in an environment that is condusive to working hard and having fun while doing it.

My struggle now is GETTING to the gym. Find TIME to make it to the gym. The time is definitely there, I just need to make sure I do. If I don't, I have a few DVD's at home that are great so I can still get that workout in.

My plan today? I will packing, moving boxes...staying active that way. In a couple hours, I'm going to head downtown to a pool to swim laps and play around with friends. Can't wait!

Have a great Saturday y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Loving your blog Marian!!! Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete