Sunday, July 12, 2009

Liberation of Losing - The Blog!

Drum Roll please...

The long awaited, forever anticipated blog is now here!

My name is Marian, I am 31 and I live in the beautiful Austin, TX. I am overweight and I have been overweight my entire life. I have no recollection of ever being thin. I have no clue what being thin even feels like. By the time, I was in 6th grade, I was over 200 lbs. I've been in the same size jeans since 7th grade. I've shopped in a plus sized clothing store all my life. I've been conscious of my body every single day of my life.

I remember being on my first diet in 2nd grade. I was put on Slim Fast. That would be the first of MANY diets through the years. I still recall my 3rd grade teacher pulling me aside every Friday to weigh me in the nurse's office. She told me that she wanted to help me lose weight but never told me HOW that was going to happen. I weighed 103 lbs in the 3rd grade! She instructed me to keep a food diary...many days I would abstain from meals altogether because I thought that was how you lose weight. I remember being super embarrassed when my friends would ask why we were going to the nurse's office every Friday. I didn't dare tell them the truth so I made up some excuse although I don't remember exactly what anymore.

My weight never interfered with my ability to make friends, meet new people, or get involved in new things. I've never been that fat girl hanging out alone at recess. In fact, I've always had a lot of friends and I make friends easily. Despite my confident demeanor, my body and my weight is something that occupies much of my thought life. And there definitely are moments when I feel insecure about how I look. At one point in my life, these thoughts were unhealthy and full of self-hate. But now, when I think of my body, I try not to think negatively about myself...instead, I try to maintain a perspective that is centered around my body and how it pertains to my health. I want to be at a healthy weight so that my days on earth may be long. I want a strong body so that I can do all the things God has planned without any physical limitations. I want to lose weight so that I can be an example to those around me that having victory and permanent success in this area is definitely possible!

The method I plan on using is the old fashioned one...smart eating and exercise. There will be no magic pills or lose weight overnight schemes. Just a lot of hard work, discipline and sweat. I will earn every single one of those pounds that I lose...I will be liberated as I lose the weight. I believe that people miss out getting to know the real Marian because they fail to see what lies beyond this sumo-like body. By liberating my thoughts and feelings and my journey here, I am also liberating the real Marian. As I lose the weight, more of me is being liberated. This is Liberation of Losing. I'm definitely excited to see the pounds and inches that I'll rack up as the numbers on the scale and tape measure go down.

I've started this blog to track my progress as I get serious about losing some MAJOR poundage. In conjunction with this blog, I will be creating videos to update you on how things are going on throughout the week, new things I am trying, what's working and what's not working, hurdles I'm encountering, etc. Basically, the videos are a way for you to get to know me personally. You can find these videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/liberationoflosing . Feel free to follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/Meleana78

9 comments:

  1. I am so very proud of you Marion. I have always been inspired by you. You are loving, dedicated...opinionated, fun, practical, full of wisdom and hope ...you know i could go on and on but I'll spare you and my rep of nonmushiness.

    So i read the whole thing and it is so exciting that you will be tracking your progress. Now I can be a part of this adventure from across the ocean and cheer for you. I have and always will support and love you my friend....my sister!

    As time would have it my children are screaming and hungry and...and...and! so i gotta go. Talk to you soon!
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Marian...you are amazing! I am SO proud of you! I need to get my butt in gear too...this is inspiring! I'm just getting back into the exercise routine too. I'm gonna follow your blog and cheer you on, girl! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Marian for your honesty and vulnerability. You are a brave and beautiful woman. I look forward to getting to know more of you as you walk this incredible journey. I am also very inspired by you. My thoughts and encouragement and prayers are with you and for you.
    Love you, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe in you Marian :) And I agree with Andrea your honesty and vulnerability is very brave. Love you!! Ive been trying to shed a few myself... and every meal i have i think to myself "Every meal is a new opportunity to eat right".. helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SUCH an inspiration Marian!!! And so very courageous. I'll be checking back often...I love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe in you too, Marian! You are an amazing woman of God :) Can't wait to cheer you on through this. Blessings to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marian, I am sooo proud of you! Growing up- I've always wanted to be like you- I never saw the weight as an issue 'cause you always seemed so happy, and confident and everyone and their mom loved to be around you. I'm glad that we are on this journey together. I look forward to see what unfolds as the pounds begin to disappear. Unlike you, I will be using the overnight get thin scheme! :) But it will still be a lot of work! I love you- and oh yeah.... may the best woman win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited to read what you are doing. I will be liberated with you I can't wait to see what you are doing next and how liberationg yourself will enhance your weight loss. I agree with you every pound loss you will earn it no quick gimmicks it will be done the correct way. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete