Friday, September 4, 2009

A Weight Gain That Didn't Hurt Me


I would like to first off apologize for being so sporadic in my blog posts. August was SUPER eventful with moving and vacation leaving me without much opportunity to sit down and write a meaningful entry. I promise to not allow that to happen again.

Anyway, let's get to business. :)

Just got back from a very fun vacation this past Monday. I went to Seattle for a wedding I was in. I had not been to Seattle since I left last November so as the date got closer and closer, the more excited I got. And to be honest, I was looking forward to a break from work, family and this Texas heat. Life is great but sometimes you just cry out "Calgon, take me away!" Except I needed to physically fly away...even with my amazing bathtub, I needed something more than Mr. Bubbles.

Prior to my trip I planned to maintain my new Weight Watchers lifestyle. I was talking on the phone with my bestie Ammie, and I was like "oh, we must go here and eat this and then have this...oh and don't forget this." But the more I thought about it the more I realized that being on vacation DID NOT mean ditching my fitness and weight loss goals. Why would I want to go backwards? So...I planned out what "cheat foods" I would have and had devised a plan in HOW I could fit those foods in without going off the deep end. I left the day of my weigh in and returned the evening before my next, so the last thing I wanted to do was gain weight and regret indulging.

PLAN: I baked pumpkin and blueberry muffins for the trip. I brought oatmeal and popcorn along as well. I realized that having healthy snacks with me at all times would prevent me from having to reach for something unhealthy in the event of hunger. Since Starbucks is HUGE in Seattle, I figured muffins would be great so that I would not be tempted by all the goodies in the glass case. The blueberry muffin at Starbucks can contain up to 600 calories and 20 grams of fat!! No thanks!

I planned a couple hangouts with my friend Megan around working out at Gold's Gym. I knew that if I fit in a couple of workouts where I had time, that would allow me to eat more. More psychologically than anything...I would be so guilt ridden had I not taken my butt to the gym. And then I felt like I earned the right to eat too. Hey we all have our issues...and that's one of mine right now. :)

FOODS I ATE: I'm just gonna list all the foods I ate that I normally would not eat but made the exception since I was on vacay.
Wednesday Lunch: Bruschetta, Crabcake Sandwich, Sweet Potato Fries, Coconut Cake
Rehearsal Dinner: 1/4 burger
Breakfast Morning of Wedding: 6 slices of bacon (eek), eggs (more than 2 - eek), peach cobbler a la mode (a ala fat!).
Reception Dinner: Tortilini, Alfredo Sauce, Roll, Butter, Wedding Cake
Saturday Lunch: Mac Salad with my Hawaii BBQ
Sunday: Enchiladas, Tortilla Chips, Strawberry Shortcake, Zeek's Pizza (all veggies)

So I look at some of those foods and I think "whoa". But what I pat myself on the back for the fact that I ate some of those foods in small portions. (With the exception of the wedding day breakfast...I couldn't help it y'all. haha. That gluttonous beast in me reared her ugly face that morning in the midst of that southern breakfast. LOL) I still got to enjoy all the flavors but didn't gorge myself as I would have before. And it's funny because I would never have thought twice before eating those dishes before Weight Watchers. Now I can look at something and instantly think if the point value of that particular food is worth me consuming. Sometimes it's worth it...but often times it's not.

My Tuesday Weigh-in: I assumed I had gained. After all, look at the foods I'd had. But on the other hand, if there was a loss I wouldn't have been surprised either because all in all, I made good choices and worked out. Weight Watchers does not restrict WHAT you eat. Weight Watchers assigns points to every food which gives you the freedom to choose whatever it is you want to eat and be accountable for that choice.

I hopped up on the scale and asked the lady behind the counter how bad it was. She responded and said that it looked like I was the same. I tell you, normally I would be upset and frustrated but this time I was relieved. I had actually gained point 4. So not even half a pound! Yay...and really that gain was worth the allowances I made on vacation. I'm proud for allowing myself to be flexible and enjoy some goodies without being a glutton and also for fitting in some physical activity. Not to mention getting my groove on at the reception. LOL.

Well that was my week in a nutshell! Now that I'm back from vacation, I'm back to healthy choices and it feels good.

1 comment:

  1. Wooooooooo hoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    So proud of you! Especially after coming right off several weeks of losing, it could have been easy to put on weight during vacation.

    But you had Zeeks without me?!?!?! :) lol

    Loved working out with you! :)
    Miss having you here.... :(

    ReplyDelete